Monday, August 13, 2012

Doctor's Visit

I took Andrew to the doctor today for his 2 month well-child visit and he is doing great! She said he is ahead of the curve with things like motor skills and language skills. Yay Andrew! He weighs 12 pounds 8 ounces and is 24 inches long, both of which fall right at the 75th percentile on the growth chart. He's my big healthy boy!

I didn't take any pictures at the actual doctor, but I took some before we left and I just have to share. He looks so cute in his little man jeans, haha. He looks like a little boy instead of a baby.





I really don't think there's a cuter little boy in the world! I realize I'm biased here, but come on! He's a cutie, right??

Today I guess all babies are scheduled to receive something like 8 vaccines? Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit ridiculous? He's 2 months old! I declined the vaccines today. Polio doesn't even really exist anymore so we're not doing that one. Hepatitis B is considered a sexually transmitted disease. Seriously? Do they think my 2 month old is going to be sharing needles with the neighbors or something? So silly to me that it's a normal vaccine given so young. We also are going to skip the rotavirus vaccine since it's so new and isn't really thought to be that effective.

The ones my pediatrician said we really should not skip are the DTaP vaccine, the Hib, and the one for pneumonia. She told us that there's a local outbreak of Pertussis, so that's pretty scary. I declined any vaccines for today since I've been on these antibiotics for the infection I have. It's possible that since the antibiotics pass into the breastmilk, they are compromising his little immune system, so I don't want him to have a bad reaction to the vaccines. We'll go back for those three vaccines in a week or so, I guess. I just think it's ridiculous they pound babies' immune systems with so many toxins so early on. I know vaccines are important, but I think maybe they're taking it a bit too far.

I am so happy that Andrew is a healthy little boy. I'm grateful for his health and these beautiful happy smiles that we get to see every single day. God has truly blessed us!

3 comments:

  1. He is such a beautiful baby...it's not just you.
    And yeah, vaccines are scary. We've been doing the recommended schedule, but not without a lot of thought and back-and-forth...
    Glad all is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your son is so adorable.
    My daughter had the rotovirus when she was about 3. She ended up in the hospital for a few days. That was scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen!

      Did your daughter have the rotavirus vaccine when she was younger? I have heard some people say that even with the vaccine, kids are still getting the virus. I'm sorry you had to go through that! I'm sure that was so scary!

      Delete